My babies

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hillary Clinton's March 4th Victory Speech

I got a phone call last night from my fellow Hillraiser (do I count as a Hillraiser if I'm in Gen X?) when she heard that Ohio went for our girl. Rock on Hillary!

I tell you, I had all but given up. Sure, I contributed last week when everyone else was ringing the death knell for her campaign. Sure, I stood up for my girl in our local caucuses. Sure, I still supported her even though my brothers and even my husband all said that I was wrong. And boy, am I glad I persevered.

The language today is really interesting. I had previously posted that I could see Hillary extending a hand to Barack should she get the nomination, offering him the VP spot. That I could not see him doing the same for her. And today, I think that suspicion has been proven correct. Hillary was asked if she would consider being on a ticket with Barack and she stated that could be where they were headed. Barack, when asked the same question, said that it was premature to say.

I wish that they would meet in a back room somewhere. I wish they would come out with some kind of compromise. I wish they would announce that they would be at the top of the ticket together. That the primaries would simply be finalizing a Clinton/Obama ticket vs. an Obama/Clinton ticket, that would be enough to unite this party. And man, do we need uniting in a bad way.

Hillary needs to keep on running hard. She needs to stay relevant. If it is inevitable that Barack take the nomination, make it also inevitable that she take the VP spot. We cannot heal a rift in this party without that concession.

No comments: