My babies

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bodyrocking

My brother the fitness junkie turned me onto a website that promises to "get you in the best shape of your life, at home, for free." It is basically a bunch of workout schedules and YouTube videos with super fit & incredibly attractive 20-somethings showing you how to exercise in your living room. The equipment is very basic and they show you how to use what you might have instead of their equipment. Most of their stuff you could get for less than $200 total, I'm thinking.

Two days ago, I did the couplet workout featured on the website. The trainer goes through the routine on the video which lasts about 14 minutes long. She peppers in a bunch of encouragement along the way and reminds you that she's only asking for 12 minutes out of your day. Who cannot spare 12 minutes, right? Lacking in excuses, I made it through 4.5 of the 6 couplets before my legs turned to spaghetti and I needed a shower.

I figured that was pretty good for a first at bat and I should feel pretty pleased with myself.

The following day, I discovered that I had not properly hydrated myself. I knew this because of the enormous amounts of lactic acid that built up in my quadriceps. Oh my goodness my thighs were screaming. I found that walking down the stairs was especially excruciating for me. Each step down brought new groans of discomfort to my lips.

Painful, but good pain. Here comes the not so good pain.

So I made it downstairs where my teen aged son told me, "I thought you were carrying a heavy load down the stairs since you were making noises like you were struggling. I was going to help you carry it but then I saw that it was just you."

Ah... the pain of embarrassment. Ouch.

No comments: