My babies

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Broken legs

Slowly but surely, I'm joining the modern world. About a year ago, my husband bought me an ipod. Not a huge swanky one, but a nano. It was the model that only briefly made the shelves. Not the long rectangle but the short squat one. Anyway, within the past couple of months I have discovered the podcast.

What a wonderful world!!!

While the youth of today are listening to their own "mixed tape" of life, I'm catching up on NPR programs that I may have missed: Selected Shorts, The Moth, This American Life, & Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. I've also discovered non-NPR shows like Comedy DeathRay and the Adam Carolla Show. What has really been fun are the radio dramas. I used to love those when I was a kid, sneaking on the radio at 10 p.m. to listen to the spooky stories. Now I get to listen to Star Trek stories and Zombie stories. Hubby and I have really enjoyed listening to the ZombiePodcast: We're Alive. One of the Star Trek stories we've been listening to is about the Starship Excelsior. What's fun about that podcast is that they're always looking for new voice talent.

Hubby and I have decided to audition.

Go ahead and make fun, but you've got to listen to Hubby's Warf before you make any judgement. Years and years of reading kids books and making silly voices for the different characters has been great rehearsal for this attempt.

The Excelsior producers have two selections from Shakespeare to let us hang ourselves. We have the introductory passage from Romeo & Juliet. Then there is Hamlet's soliloquy -- you know, the famous "to be or not to be" one. We chose the latter.

At first, I did my best Filipino accent and read through the former passage. I thought it was pretty good. Hubby couldn't stop giggling when he listened to it. So instead, I submitted the second passage. I tried to read it just like myself since I figure it would be easier to sustain a voice if I just played myself. Hubby read his in his Gandalf voice. He did Warf for a while but realized that it was hard to emote anything but gruffness when you're trying to be Warf.

Sadly, I don't know how to post an audio file to my blog. If I figure it out, I'll put our attempts at stardom here.

No comments: