My babies

Friday, May 1, 2009

Spamdemic

Next weekend, one of my friends from my hana-butta days is getting married in Southern California. I'm so very excited to be invited to the wedding. Noelle and I have been friends since I think the 3rd grade. We've never lost touch. Even when I went off to Sacred Hearts Academy and she went to Waipahu High School, we remained close.

Anyway, she's getting married in Southern California where this swine flu has been found. I have to admit, I'm a little afraid about catching it. I'm coming off a nasty flu season when Lil'T got sick every other week. In fact, she's sick right now. But the thing is, I still have that lingering cough you get after you've had the flu. I can't shake it. And now, with everybody being in a panic, I'm worried that I'll be mauled when I get on the airplane next week Friday. I mean, what if I cough and all the passengers turn on me because they're afraid of the swine flu?

Plus, what if I go down to So Cal and end up catching it? I'd bring it back to my island and imagine what would happen. This island is so freaking small that if one kid has lice in one school, all of the schools are on alert. For weeks after the last lice outbreak at an elementary school that isn't even the one that Princess attends, I put the girls' hair up in ponytails and buns so that there would be no chance of transmission. Swine flu would go through this place faster than Chinese Food on a Tuesday night.

My mother is suggesting that I either invest in some face masks (yeah, that will look nice in the wedding pictures) or that I just cancel the trip until the spamdemic passes.

I think I'm going to chance it anyway. I wouldn't miss this wedding for the world.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Come to S.Calif. Not spreading. Where will you be? I'll be in Huntington Beach. call my cell if nearby. Your 4th grade teach Nancy! 760 793-1388 Cant wait to see you!!!!!