My babies

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Diabetes

I got news last night that Uncle John will be having surgery on one of his feet as a complication of diabetes. He's battled that illness all of his life having been diagnosed as a very young adult. I'm writing asking for prayers that the vascular surgery goes well and the circulation to his feet and legs improves and that they won't have to take away more tissue than they anticipate.

It is a funny thing about diabetes. People are perfectly willing to nag and cajole -- even feel self righteous when talking to somebody with diabetes. They're easy targets. More than any disease, I think diabetes is one where people feel perfectly fine blaming the patient. "It is your fault your sugars are so out of control. Have you no will power?" "When are you going to start exercising?" The future is dire for any diabetic. Increased risk of heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure, amputation, nerve damage, etc. There are so many great *reasons* to motivate somebody who loves a diabetic to be all fire and brimstone.

But it isn't really fair.

One would never scold a cancer patient for having gotten cancer. The same needs to hold true for diabetes. Consider this, for the diabetic person, they're going along on their daily life when there is an change. They're super thirsty all the time, or they pee a lot -- and then what? They go in, get checked, and then are told that for the rest of the conceivable future, they've got a deadly disease that can be managed, won't stop you in your tracks immediately, but will ultimately catch up with you. Oh, and by the way, if you're not totally on board with the lifestyle changes, everybody you know that loves you will scold you on a daily basis when you so much as think about a cupcake for dessert.

So I'm changing my attitude. I've stopped nagging. I've stopped being judgmental. Ask me my opinion, I'll give it, but I'll try not to be a pain when giving it. If you ask if you should have a cupcake versus an apple and cheese slices, I'll tell you the latter is a better choice. But I'll stop blaming you and try to be compassionate first, always. I'll have the faith that your own inner voice is telling you what you need to be doing.

Perhaps if I shut up, you'll be able to listen to yourself.

No comments: