My babies

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Uncle Nofre

It isn't really right for me to have two posts back to back with the same title. After all, it has only been a week. But this writing is to tell you that my heart is broken. Uncle Nofre passed away this morning.

To say that he was so very well loved, it doesn't really match the magnitude of this man. I have no doubt that he will be mourned by countless hearts. I'm sure he was a celebrity. He certainly was one to us. A few months ago, he told me that he never used to regret never marrying and having children until now in his old age. How he never had kids of his own. I reminded him that every single one of his nieces and nephews believed him to be a father to us. The grandkids always thought of him as Apo.

When Uncle came to visit for Lil' T's baptism, we went shopping. He was holding her in his arms and cooing at her face. A woman came up to him and said, "You sure look like a proud grandpa." And instead of correcting her, he just said, "I do, don't I?" We were all his children.

I'm sorry I can't be eloquent this morning. I'm typing through tears. I thought that maybe it would be easier to tell everybody at once this way. A friend of mine reminded me that he's probably catching up with my dad right now, talking about the kids and how cute the grandbabies are. So I'll find comfort in that.

Bye Uncle. I love you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss my adopted Uncle Nofre too. My heart goes out to you and mine is broken too. I'm thinking of you. Let me know if you need absolutely anything. Nancy

Anonymous said...

I just found out about the passing of Onofre. I was close to him when I lived in Hawaii. I moved away many years ago and only recently made contact with him via email. What a shock. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy. As we know, he is in a much better place now. God bless you all.

damned_cat said...

Tess,

Thank you for the information about Onofre's services and for these wonderful tributes to him as well. I knew him only from church and from CCD, and have been scouring the bulletins for information about his life and funeral services. I will pass on this information, I know others who have been wondering, too.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You are right - he was well loved even by those who knew him just a fraction as much as his family.

God Bless.