My babies

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sleeping outside

Princess had her first encampment this past weekend. I should note that I had my first encampment this past weekend. GIRL SCOUTS ROCKS!!! I can deflect saying the girls had so much fun. They just loved it. While this is true, I must be honest. I HAD AN ABSOLUTE BLAST. There were times when I thought I would cry out of happiness this weekend. And then I thought, what an absolute sap. (I'm not pregnant. I swear I'm not pregnant. At least I don't think I am.) But I loved how empowering it was to be amongst all these girls and young women, and have my faith in the youth of this country emboldened.

The camp allowed all the girls to be able to take risks and feel safe and accepted. I watched two teen aged girls lead some younger girls in singing campfire songs as we waited for the dinner service. These girls were wearing all black. One had a row of safety pins holding her black hoodie shut. They both wore their hair black, long and straight. I think one had hot pink highlights streaked through her hair. The only thing missing was white skin makeup and black lipstick. On the street, I would have judged them as disaffected youth posing as emo or goth. But here, they were 2 Girl Scouts leading camp songs complete with silly hand motions and laughter. And let me tell you, it was all I could do to keep from sobbing. Thank God for sunglasses.

The weekend showcased the industrial spirit of the campers. We saw how capable and helpful even little Daisies can be if allowed to work. Every last one rose to the occasion. Man, I wish I had been allowed to join when I was a kid. There were fun activities all day long -- all run by girls -- teen aged and young adult Girl Scouts. These young women were so put together and confident. I just loved being around them. In them, I could see what my Princess and Lil'T could someday become. That was truly a gift. The encampment was organized and run by a group of 5th grade scouts. Yes, that's right, a group of 10 & 11 year old girls. Every event, every game, the theme of the weekend, was orchestrated by these wonderful girls. They were such great hosts. They engaged with my 5 little Brownies and really made them feel welcome. Heck, all the girls at the camp made my Brownies feel welcome.

We went to the encampment of a neighboring service unit so we didn't know any of the adult leaders save one. We were thanked repeatedly for joining them. I held such gratitude just for being invited to join their encampment. Many of the leaders learned the names of our 5 little brownies before the weekend was over. And looking at some of their numerous patches sewn on the backs of their shirts, I got to see my future too.

I'm am forever grateful to my sweet Princess for getting me into Girl Scouts. Sure, I wish I had joined when I was 7 instead of 37, but better late than never.

I am also forever grateful to my sweet Hubby who bought a $200 camping pad for me to sleep on. OMG. I actually slept last night. I didn't have to do the sausage-on-a-hot-pan roll over all night long. It was as close to heaven as you can get while sleeping outside and being accosted by mosquitoes.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I'm sure I wrote it before.

Hillary was a Girl Scout.

No comments: