My babies

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Public Service Announcement

There are going to be a lot of questions so I thought I should just blog this.

Our family was in a car accident today at around 2 pm.

We are all fine. Hubby & I have some stiff necks. Princess claims to have no discomfort at all. Lil'T has a couple of bruises on her shins where her father's seat back fell back on her, but no broken bones. That is visiting his aunt, uncle and cousin so he wasn't with us. Our seat belts, booster seat, car seat and especially our sacrificial bumper acted just according to design. We were all spared from serious injury and the bumper crumpled taking at least some of the force away from being inflicted upon us.

Hubby was driving and had come to a complete stop, waiting to turn left into a parking lot. The other driver was distracted momentarily and slammed into the back of our car. There were no skid marks on the road so I think he really just didn't see our mini van and was probably going 35-40 MPH on that road.

A few friends saw us sitting on the side of the road and offered to help. Tammy stopped and gave Princess a soda. Becky stopped to see if we needed anything. We really were all fine, just a little freaked out. The paramedics and police came pretty quick. We were ultimately rescued by Steve & Sharon. They came straight away when we told them what had happened. Steve drove us to the emergency room. We were all medically cleared after about 6 hours there. That was truly above and beyond. I think I may have to repay his kindness with some bacon as I no longer have any Girl Scout Cookies. Hubby's doctor gave him a prescription for yummy opioids, but I just got told to use Motrin. Shucks, I should have gotten a second opinion. I tried to hide that I'm an RN because a lot of times, medical personnel don't give you the same kind of teaching if they assume you know stuff. But I failed at that because the doc was palpating my back and in directing him to where the ouchie was (that is a medical term) I said, "no, more medial." Damn. I wonder if that's why I didn't get the yummy opioids.

There was one funny thing about the accident though. We had just stopped at a local farm and picked up a 1/2 flat of strawberries. Just so you know, these are the funniest looking but sweetest strawberries in the world. I had them in my lap and my husband's colleague from Taiwan, Brian, was sitting in the front seat holding a pint for Hubby and him to share. When the car hit us, poor Brian's strawberries went flying. One got squished on the front of his shirt. The berries on my lap went flying and one dropped behind him so that when all was said and done, Brian had red strawberry juice on the front of his shirt and the back of his shirt. As well as squished strawberry on his leg. The girls and I has a couple of similar splotches, but none as bad as Brian's. When we all stepped out of the car, passers-by, the aid workers and people who were in the park were all a twitter because they thought for sure we were splattered with blood. Especially Brian who looked like he had an entry and exit wound on his shirt. It was just strawberries.

This accident was the cherry on top of Hubby's automotive terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-weekend. Yesterday, in helping a friend move a big screen television from the Rotary auction (the yearly island wide garage sale), his truck died. Repeatedly. The 6 mile trip took him a good 3 hours to make. Ultimately, he left his truck at the friend's house. We'll be donating it to charity. The gas in it is likely more valuable than the truck itself at this point.

This weekend capped 2 weeks of 16-20 hour work days for Hubby. Including last weekend.

Sometimes life isn't fair.

But at least there are strawberries.

1 comment:

nicoyacal said...

YIKES!!! Thank God you and the family are ok. Sorry about the Strawberries though. :)