My babies

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The advantages of marrying young

When my husband and I met, I was only 21 and he was 23. As far as the dating scene is concerned, we were pretty green. I mean, I sure never lived through anything resembling Sex in the City. There are advantages to that too. I didn't get to drop $1000 on a pair of shoes but I don't think I could ever do that. Too much Catholic guilt built up inside of me. And $1000 shoes is just plain uppity. For shoes to cost that much, they had better make me lose weight just by wearing them. Not by walking in them, but just by slipping them on.

But the other day, Hubby came home late from work. I warmed up his food and we sat down at the dinner table. While he was eating, he told me about his day. And at a crucial moment, he burped. All this while his mouth was full of food.

I told him, "The problem with us having met when we were so young is that you never really had to sharpen your game."

He didn't really understand that. So I told him that a guy who has a little more seasoning on him in the dating world would never have a mouthful of half macerated pork chop, talk and burp all at the same time. He'd be so much more suave. He'd have figured out how to present himself as refined, not boorish.

He shook his head. "I didn't burp... Well, not that I recall anyway."

My point exactly.

No comments: