My babies

Friday, March 14, 2008

It's only 7:50am and already I'm in tears

Good tears though. Only good ones.

You may have clicked on the sites I have listed on here as sites I visit on a regular basis. One of those is about a friend of a friend who has gone through one of those things you think only happens to other people. She's a colorectal cancer patient who has arrived on the other side of the diagnosis in remission.

I met Ang at Nancy's wedding. She and I were Nancy's bridesmaids. We both had just had babies -- hers about 6 months prior and mine, 6 weeks prior. And yeah, she looks way better in the dress than I do. I don't hold it against her. Much.

After I read the news, I told her that now she can add an Easter story to her own personal narrative. Her life and her future are again within reach; her life has been given back to her. I just think it is amazing that this news came right before Holy Week. The holidays were fragmented and difficult for Ang. This Easter will be joyful and whole.

And just to make sure that I work those tear ducts well, I went back to her first post. It is always nice to reflect on a journey by looking back at where you started.

My first question was, "Am I going to die?" The second was, "What about my boys?" I settled into the master bathroom with my back leaning on the cabinets on the floor. I cried, and I told Grant that if anything happens to me that he had to promise me that the boys would know how fiercely I love them. Both of us crying, he promised. That night I was up for most of it. I watched my boys sleep. It was a strangely calm night and they were peaceful. I prayed to see them go to the 1st grade, I prayed to see them graduate from High School, and then I prayed that if I didn't that the path their father would have to take with them (without me) would be easy.

Prayer works.

No comments: