My babies

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My Statuses (or is it Statii)

I've noticed lately that a lot of my friends have statuses that read like angry old people yelling at kids to keep of their lawn. I suspect that this is how my generation is turning into the old people -- the transition much more visible now. I mean, if I look at the statuses of my "friends" who are in their 20's, there is the expected drama. The jokes, the lyrics from popular songs, and of course relationship angst. I think they're more apt to share stuff closer to themselves emotionally than their older counterparts.

In the 30 something crowd, there are a lot of pictures; predictably from weddings, baby showers and the like. I don't see a lot of text but then again, I don't have too many friends in that age range. I am getting old.

But my peers in their fabulous 40's -- we are a grumpy lot of people. It's kind of like we're just trying on the phrase, "kids these days..." or "what's wrong with people?"  I've tried to make my Facebook as nonbitchy as possible and yet, I still have my moments. Recent posts complain about the weather, actually use the words "bah humbug," and I talk about a bad hair day.

But I think the deal is that we -- all of Facebook people -- we all need to lighten up. This is the water cooler where we get to see old friends and read something funny that they might have written. It is the place where you get the brag about your kids or share pictures. And really, that's what we should be using it for. I don't want to hear you complain about your life or your perceived slights because if you've got computer access and internets, odds are you're doing well enough.

How great is it that I've got a place like my blog where I can complain about FB because I don't think we should be complaining on FB?

No comments: