My babies

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Bridges

Today was the Girl Scout Service Unit wide Bridging Ceremony. Just like any other long running organization, Girl Scouts have ceremonies. I think they're important ways to punctuate your membership and experience with that organization. And just like every high school has their own graduation ceremony -- Girl Scouts have their own way to run bridging.

There is always an element of chaos because the ceremonies are "girl led." This is a cornerstone of the Girl Scout philosophy. The girls run the program. As they get older, the leaders become adult advisors/drivers/chaperones and less of "leaders." So the chaos.

You must also know that I have a limited attention span and memory skills.

So when our Service Unit manager, whose girls were running the event, announced that my troop would be performing the flag ceremony, four sets of terrified girl eyes turned towards me. I quoted the internet meme and said, "Keep Calm, and Carry On." I waved them to the back of the room where the flags were just like we knew exactly what we were doing. The girls all asking me, "did you know?" I hurriedly told them that I didn't but we'll be fine. We'd done this dozens of times. At the back of the room, I quickly asked them who wanted to be caller to which they all said, "Not me." Ultimately, my own daughter said she would.

They did great!

My girls are trailblazers. I'm so proud of them.

They all hate their new vests. They're awfully big, but they'll be wearing the same vests until they're seniors in high school. 6 years is a lot of growing.


No comments: