My babies

Friday, December 2, 2011

Lips

Burt's Bees. I wanted to let you know that you've won. I'm not getting paid by you. This is not an endorsement. This is surrender. I'm addicted to your lip balm. I didn't know that lip balm could be something you could get addicted to. I never put much thought to it before. But you've succeeded in giving me a completely irrational brand loyalty. You win. Uncle.

Before last Christmas, I saw your pretty yellow boxes with pseudo-Victorian era drawings of produce, bees, and the guy who looks like Santa in the off season. I always wanted to try your lip glosses. But when I looked at the price, I shied away. If I can get a Chapstick for 99 cents, why would I pay $3 for a tube of your stuff, right? Just made no sense.

But you lured me in Burt's Bees, with a cute little gift set which gave you 3 lip balms and a "keepsake tin" for only $4. What a bargain! Can we talk about that stupid keepsake tin? It was supposed to be an ornament. Maybe at your corporate offices, you might decorate your Christmas tree with ornaments emblazoned with your logo. Not my Christmas tree. Lucky for you my 4th grade daughter was thrilled to have another small box in which to put her treasures (aka rubbish).

I didn't care for the pomegranate. It was red but colorless when applied and tasted nothing like pomegranates. The honey smelled too much like... well, honey. It reminded me of old lady perfume. But then there was your plain old Cooling Soothing Beeswax Lip Balm. It makes my lips tingle. Feels so good. (Is it wrong that I'm blushing a little writing this?)

I found myself actually running out of tubes of this stuff. Nobody ever runs out of lip balm, but I did. I use it multiple times a day. I actually pay *gasp* full price. I've expanded my addiction to include multiple shimmers which feel all tingly but have a little bit of color. My fave is Fig.

Burt's Bees, I'm yours.

No comments: