My babies

Monday, November 29, 2010

Anti-crap Christmas

This year I'm requesting something completely different for Christmas. My kid's aunts and uncles will always call asking what to get my kids. When they were much younger, it was very easy. They'd ask for crap:  Spiderman crap, Hot Wheels crap, Dora crap, Barbie crap, Groovy Doll crap, even *gasp* American Girl doll crap. That last one was pretty pricey crap. But this year, for my kids (at least the older ones) I'd like to get experiences.


The boy is asking for a zippo lighter, an ove glove, and an Airsoft gun. Those first two because he'd like to have them in his camping gear. His last ove glove was damaged. Instead, I'm asking him to consider a visit to the shooting range with his uncle, or maybe a camping trip, or maybe a class with the NRA to improve his marksmanship. Ooh, what about a paint ball scrimmage? See, these are great ideas!

My 9 year old princess needs to think about less crap. She's pretty disorganized. Typically things that she loves, she loves hard and then forgets them after a week. However, she's really into creating costumes for her dolls right now so I'm thinking maybe a set of sewing classes or maybe knitting classes. She also likes beading jewelry so maybe a class for that too. She's in Aikido and will be testing soon. She could use a bigger gi. She's also been on my case to bring her to the Girl Scout store to use up her cookie dough gift card she earned last year. On the other hand, I sure could use an agent to get her some modeling gigs. I don't even know how to start with that one. 

My 5 year old just wants crap. But here's what is fun! She loves reading. She's amazing at addition thanks to her big brother who has been quizzing her on math facts since she was probably 3. She also loves playing on the DS or will take off with my phone and change all the settings. Books are always a hit and generally not crap. Just f.y.i.:  I don't like Berenstein Bears, Dora, Clifford, & Diego books. Don't even get me started on Amelia Bedelia & Curious George books. I grit my teeth and get through them but I can't stand reading them. Knowing my brothers, that's the only kinds of books they'll get her. *sigh*. But we both LOVE Eric Carle books, simple chapter books, Arthur books, and fanciful picture books. 

May your days be merry and bright and may all your Christmases be less about crap and more about experiences. 

No comments: