My babies

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mother of four

Dog ownership is making me a much better person. I'm certain of it. I think because I no longer have a little baby in my arms, I am throwing myself completely into the training and teaching of this little puppy. I've read and reread an obedience book as well as one specifically written for her breed. At 3 months old, she is solid on coming to her name, sitting & waiting for her food, and walking nicely on the leash. She's learning settle, up, down, bed, stay, and the all important "do your business." I'm planning to teach her to fetch each of my kids by name and also my husband. That would be fun to send her out Lassie style. I also want to work on her psychic abilities. Like if I think to myself, "I need to take Holly out for a walk," she should instantly get her leash. Just you wait, she might learn how to do it.

She does display the usual dog like behaviors. While we NEVER intentionally feed her human food, in Holly, hope enthusiastically springs eternal. She sits alert and hopeful as I'm cooking or underfoot as Lil'T is eating. The other day, I was cutting up a zucchini. In the obedience books, they say that dogs like having raw veggies as treats. So when I dropped a piece of zucchini on the floor and she snatched it up like manna from heaven, I let her have it. I figured it would do no harm. That is until my husband came upstairs and saw the puddles of green vomit on the living room floor.

Hubby: Gross! There's green vomit all over the living room floor.

Me: Oh no. That's my fault.

Hubby: *pause* You vomited on the living room floor and didn't clean it up?


So for now, Holly only gets doggy biscuits for treats and she's a perfectly happy puppy. I may give her some sweet peas if she learns how to read my mind. Heck, I'll give her Chateaubriand if she learns to read my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If she can read your mind what would you do. Hit the late night talk circuit, write a book (or have the dog write the book) and make a million dollars.