My babies

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Thar she blows!

Last week was our Spring Break. The first weekend was Hubby's mother's birthday so we had wanted to head out on Friday after his work and make it to So. Cal. by Sunday, Gram's actual birthday. Sadly, last week, Lil'T and I became human tubes with the stomach flu. Nothing stayed down and everything ran for the closest exits with frightening speed. At one point in the middle of the night while I was retching into a bucket, I actually started weeping. (cue violins) I begged my body to realize that the grilled chicken ceasar that was dinner was long gone and nothing was left inside. I was empty, but in perfectionist mode, my body continued to heave nothing but air for several hours that first night. On Tuesday morning, I while I rested, Lil'T climbed in to our bed and proceeded to vomit all over it. So she and I camped out on the sofa for a good part of the week watching endless hours of Nick Jr. and Dora the Explorer. (I'm the Map, I'm the Map, I'm the Map, I'm the Map, I'm THE MAP!) Lil'T didn't stop spewing until Sunday. We started our journey on Monday and SURPRISE, Lil'T had one last bit of sick in her. Nothing like cleaning your kid up in the parking lot of a Carl's Jr.

I do need to brag a little bit though. Lil'T at 3 years old is the most conscientious vomiter of our brood. Our son was famous for having the bucket in front of his face and turning his head away at the last moment to hit the floor. Once, on a road trip, he actually woke us all in the middle of the night screaming. He then rolled over and went back to sleep. After about 10 minutes, he sat up, vomited on the comforter, and then proceeded to lie down and go back to sleep. Just like a rock star. Are you kidding me? In contrast, Lil'T will always ask for her bucket. Of course it is the 3 gallon, very dramatic bucket with a handle. She could fit in this bucket with room for a rubber duckie. She will cry for it but if it isn't in reach, when she will vomit directly into a toilet, sink, or other within reach vessel. Unless she's in bed and can't get to the edge fast enough. At least she cries. I can be woken from a sound sleep to full alertness by the sound of a whimpered, "Bucket..."

I'll post more on our trip later. Highlights though: Legoland, visiting with family and friends, Laguna Beach & Monterey Bay Aquarium.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a knack for telling stories, even stories that include vomit. That is a true talent.
Nancy V