My babies

Friday, October 10, 2008

Birds and windows

The other day, Princess and I were talking about how sometimes birds will fly into our windows. There have been a few bird fatalities around our house because of wayward birds. Princess and I talked about ways we could prevent the birds from flying into our windows.

"Mommy, why do they fly into our windows in the first place? Did they want to come into the house?"

"No, I think they can see the reflection of the trees and sky in our windows so they don't think that they're going to hit anything but then they do." She chewed on that for a little bit.

"Oh, I know. We could put black paper up on all our windows because then they would only see black and then they wouldn't fly in our windows."

"Yeah, but I kind of like having light come in through our windows. Can you imagine just being able to see black all the time? It would be night all the time in our house."

"Well, maybe we could put signs up that said, 'don't fly here,' or 'danger: window."

"Good point. I don't know how well the birds would be able to see that though. I have heard of people putting stickers up on their windows. That can stop them."

So we made plans to get some decals to stick on our windows and save some bird lives.

"Hey Mommy, do you remember that time that a bird flew into our window. We thought it was dead but it turned out to be alive? You brought it in the house because you thought it was dead and then it jumped up and you let it outside."

"You're forgetting that he jumped up and pooped on my leg before I let it outside."

"I remember. But Mommy, poop is better than dead."

Poop is better than dead. Good point.

No comments: