My babies

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It has been a tough decade for me

That is politically. I've consistently chosen the losing candidate for the highest office for the past 8 years. Notice, I didn't say wrong. I said losing.

Can you imagine what the world would be like right now if Gore had taken his rightful place in the White House? What would have happened that day in September that cracked our feeble eggshell of perceived safety had Gore been in the top job? That day it happened, my husband wisely and with prescience said, "We are so angry as a nation. We've got our hand balled up in a fist just looking for somebody to hit." And then we did. Twice. I believe Gore would have hit once -- justly and righteously. But the guy who got the job had another agenda. Now, even his own people speak out against it.

Then in 2004, I thought for sure that John Kerry would be the guy. How could he lose? He was the smart choice. He ran circles around Bush in debates. Hadn't the country had enough? I wept in the car listening to Kerry's concession speech. My husband was shocked at my emotions. I had felt like I was holding my breath since the 2000 election waiting for 2004, when all that was wrong would be put right. When I finally thought I could start breathing again, turns out I had to suck it up again.

And here we are in 2008. This was the time when it was finally going to happen. When Hillary was going to take the White House back and restore sanity at the top. She's seasoned. She's smart. She paid her dues. From the first debate to the last, she's come out swinging and on top. She was strong in the first and strong in the last. But I guess we don't care about debates as a nation. Her inevitability turned into smoke. Again, I chose the losing candidate. This sinking feeling is getting to be quite familiar.

*sigh*

Well, I'm thinking if I'm going to learn anything from this, I had better turn my brain around. I've never been the popular girl in school. I always seemed to go against the crowd. I guess some things never really change. I'm thinking that I should pack it up, decide to campaign for the other side. I'll embrace the Bush administration and its continuation in Senator McCain. Like those Republicans who still believe in Bush (all 27% of them), I'll hold my nose and support McCain. And maybe, if I tell the universe that I'm voting for McCain, I'll continue my losing streak just long enough for the country to be set right.

No comments: