My babies

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Help me

Ever since my youngest was an infant (okay, it wasn't that long ago) I've used a Sleep Sack. I love these things. They're endorsed by the people who fight Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Loose blankets around a baby's face have been associated with SIDS. In one terrible post-partum freak out, I googled SIDS and read absolutely heart wrenching stories from people who have lost their kids that way. I went out and bought a few of these sacks like they were manna from Heaven. Anything that would keep my baby safe from that bogey man was welcome.

When Lil'T turned 1 1/2 years old, she got too big for even the largest Sleep Sack. Then Halo, the company who makes these wearable blankets, psychically felt my angst. They realized how we mothers and fathers had come to make the Sleep Sack an essential part of our night routines and we were loathe to get rid of them. They designed the Sleep Sack for toddlers. I ordered 3 of them, and now I've discovered that they make them in 4T/5T size, so we'll be okay for a few more years.

When she was very little, Lil'T could not express her displeasure at being exiled nightly to her crib. Sure, she cried or fussed, but like magic, within minutes of her back lying on the crib mattress, she would fall asleep. Now that she's 2, she's very verbal. After her bath, she'll happily pick out her own sleeper, but the second she sees that Sleep Sack, she objects mightily.

"Don't want it!" She'll shake her head and run for the arms of any adult who isn't carrying the dreaded Sleep Sack. My mother has decided that because Lil'T's love for her father is so boundless, he can wrap her up in it nightly. This only works for a short time, because my husband is such a soft touch, it kills him to have her fuss. Then the task usually falls to me.

The other night, I was at a meeting for the Christmas Pageant, so it was just Mom & my hubby with the baby. I didn't actually witness this scene, but I hope I'll do it justice.

My husband had retrieved the Sleep Sack and put it over his shoulder before he went into the living room to fetch Lil'T. When she saw the Sleep Sack, she knew instantly what was about to happen. Her fears were confirmed when my husband picked her up and said, "Tell Lola good-night."

Instead, she reached out her little pudgy hands towards my mother and begged, "Mom! Help! Mom!" It was desperate, futile, but at the same time, pretty funny.

No comments: